Skip to content
Steps for Thalassemia Prevention
- Public Awareness through electronic media, social media, education centers and local health centers
- Screening of general population for carrier detection through CBC, Hb-electrophoresis and PCR based analysis.
- Extended family screening of affected persons.
- Pre-marital screening of future couples and avoidance of carrier-carrier and cousin/family marriages.
- Genetic counseling on individual and group basis.
- Pre-natal diagnosis (CVS) and discuss full details, pros and cons of this test and to advise termination of pregnancy in case of positive CVS report for mutation (Thalassemia Major).
- Pre-implantation or Pre-conception diagnosis (very expensive).
- Fetal DNA in maternal plasma (non-invasive). A future technique.